Thursday, July 11, 2013

Crossed one thing off the list...Submissions in!

Well, it was supposed to take one day and took closer to a week--I began on July 4 and completed everything on July 11 (and actually still have to print and mail stuff, but can't do that until my host returns and the post office opens tomorrow morning. But close enough...).  I don't know what I was thinking.  Well, yes I do.  I was thinking that I had to write a couple of pages of stuff and update my CV.  In reality, I had to:
  1. Figure where I was submitting (I had three places, but needed six).
  2. Make sure I had all their requirements in order--some wanted one thing, some another.
  3.  Write a letter of introduction and personalize it for each place.  And write hard copy letters as well, since most of the houses don't take submission by email.  (The email was an introduction to try to set up a meeting at the ASA in New York.  Hard copy wouldn't have gotten there in time.)
  4. Write 3--as in THREE--proposals: 5-10 pages, 3-6 pages, and "short."  I ended up with 8, 6, and 3 pages.
  5. Write an annotated table of contents.
  6. Revise two sample chapters for publication (and no, this doesn't take the place of dissertation revision). 
  7. And the CV--which didn't take long, in fact.
So yeah, that's quite a bit to do.  I guess I'm not surprised it took a long time.  And the good news is that I've heard from four out of six already, with various degrees of interest.  So...that's done.
Tomorrow I actually send off hard-copy and reply to emails.  Then on to the paper for the conference in August.  I'm hopeful that won't take long--although we'll see.  After having been in Israel, I'm not quite sure how to manage to communicate the whole thing...

No comments: